Thursday, October 2, 2008

Prophet Ross

Yesterday was going to be a relaxing day. Knowing that the financial quake from the failed US Wall St bailout was of tsunami forming proportions, you might be inclined to ask why. The answer is that I am blessed enough not to have any finances to lose. So what went wrong with my day? The answer is Prophet Ross.

Prophet Ross is (or should I say was) known in the general Australian community as Professor Ross Garnaut. Doctor Garnaut is an Economics professor acting as special advisor to the Australian government in climate-change. Though when he hands down his reports, all activity usually grinds to a halt, his latest report was delayed for a couple of hours as the tsunami coming across the Atlantic took centre stage. Nonetheless, the latest report was delivered.

Eagerly I awaited listening to an expert in economics explain the nuances of the road ahead on this hot issue. It would make a nice change from the boring rhetoric that has been making the rounds…or so I thought.

After a little introduction the Professor of Economics explained that if I didn’t take him seriously I would be ‘haunted till the end of time’. I was taken aback. Being haunted all the eternal years ahead did not seem so appealing. However he had my attention now. Fortunately he quickly went on, in his capacity as the most senior expert on the issue of climate-change (with respect to economics) in Australia, to say that there was a ‘saving grace’. Well hallelujah!!

Prophet Ross is born, or should I say born again. Admittedly ‘the end of time’ sounds reasonably intelligent and professional, but ‘haunted’? Though I don’t mind a laugh at blatant stupidity, it is important to note that the word ‘haunted’ has distinctly religious undertones. And then to come up with a ‘saving grace’. Wow this guy Prophet Ross really is a climate-change crusader.

On the international scene however Prophet Ross cannot compete with Al Gore. Al has been rallying the troops for some time now, and since he did not seek the US presidency I have been wondering what will become of him. However a few days ago, Al Gore raised the climate-change crusade ante by making a call to arms. He said that it was now time for civil disobedience.

The question is, how can tomorrow be a better day? Hopefully Rudd the Dudd will achieve advaita (non-dual) bipartisanship with Saviour Malcolm. In this case Prophet Ross and Saviour Malcolm can join forces with Al War Gore. That would make for an interesting tomorrow.

So there you have it. My planned day watching other people lose their hard earned money was thwarted by karma, or should I say the devil? Tomorrow never comes but let me see what sort of today tomorrow is.

No comments: